Migrating from blogger to jekyll

Published at 01 Nov 2016 by soywiz

I has been more than a year since the last update.

In this time I have been writing in spanish in a community that I created about kotlin: kotlin.es.

I used this weekend and today that is a public holiday to migrate my blog from Blogger to Jekyll. It has been a pretty tedious task, and if I had to do this again I would probably try to automate the task, converting from html to markdown as well as downloading the images.

In general what I have done is to convert the html that blogger generates, that is pretty bad even for a wysiwyg editor, and convert it into markdown. I wanted to use the migration to make the content as clean as possible. I have used to-markdown to automate a bit the process, but it kept a lot of html without converting, even when my objective was to simplify markdown as much as possible. Also I had to download all the images from blogger’s cdn to the repo.

For the whole process I have used Visual Studio Code 1.6.1 and wget.

And I have placed the code at github as I’m doing lately with my development blogs.

The good thing is that even in the case github stops using jekyll in the future or even serving static pages, jekyll allows to generate an static website easily and doesn’t use a database; all its files are plain files.

As far as I know all the content is already migrated, now I will migrate all the blogger comments to disqus, and little by little I will polish the template so it looks cooler.

Ya llevaba sin escribir por aquí más de un año.

En este tiempo he estado escribiendo en la comunidad que creé sobre kotlin: kotlin.es.

He aprovechado este fin de semana y hoy que es fiesta para migrar mi blog de Blogger a Jekyll. Ha sido una tarea bastante tediosa, y que si tuviese que volver a hacer desde luego trataría de automatizar, tanto la parte de html a markdown como de descarga de imágenes.

En general lo que he hecho ha sido convertir el html que genera blogger, que era bastante nefasto en general incluso para un wysiwyg, y pasarlo a markdown. Quería aprovechar la migración para tener el contenido lo más limpio posible. He hecho uso de to-markdown para automatizar un poco el proceso, pero se dejaba mucho html sin traducir, aún cuando mi objetivo era simplificar el markdown al máximo. También he tenido que descargar todas las imágenes del cdn de blogger al repositorio.

Para realizar todo el proceso he usado Visual Studio Code 1.6.1 y wget.

Y lo he alojado en github como estoy haciendo últimamente con todos mis blogs de desarrollo.

Lo bueno es que aunque en un futuro github tumbase jekyll o el servir páginas estáticas, jekyll permite generar un sitio web estático muy fácilmente y no tiene una base de datos, sino que son todo archivos planos.

En principio ya está todo el contenido migrado, ahora pasaré a migrar los comentarios de Blogger a Disqus, y poco a poco iré refinando el template para que quede todo más apañado.